This has been a challenging year for the snowmobile trails. While the trails are open in some areas, sledding in too many areas has been placed on pause. There are trails open in some northern counties and the system recently opened up in one western county. In all, here are trails open or partially open in at least ten of Wisconsin’s 72 counties, up from seven last week. Here’s an update on snow trail conditions and where you can find the best snowmobiling in Wisconsin. Let’s hope for more snow!
Note: Please check with individual businesses like restaurants and lodging properties for information on any changes in hours or services due to COVID-19.
Conditions vary widely in northwest Wisconsin. Sawyer County trails have been downgraded from “good” tp “fair” by the clubs there. While there’s a base of 6-8 inches, it’s heavily ridden. You’ll run into some gravel and snirt on the trails. Ashland County trails remained closed.
Trails in Bayfield County are open and rideable but ranged from “fair” to “poor.”
Trails also remained closed in Rusk County with riders hoping the next snow system places them in the bullseye.
Trails in St. Croix County have opened, although the base is just 3-5 inches. Conditions were rated “fair.”
Trail conditions continued to vary in the far northern counties. Some trails were open, although most areas would benefit from more snow. Use caution on trails and near lakes.
Trails were open in many areas of Vilas County, although the area continues to need more snow.
The Presque Isle Area has a trails that range from “good” to “fair” with 5-8 inches of base. Boulder Junction has similar conditions, with some sections even rated “very good.” The current base is 4-8 inches.
Trails in Eagle River continue to rated “poor” with early-season riding conditions continuing. Please stay on the trail as off-trail riding could jeopardize future eazements.
Wisconsin snowmobile maps
- Sawyer County snowmobile map
- Vilas County snowmobile trails app
- Oneida County snowmobile map
- Bayfield County snowmobile map
- Ashland County snowmobile map
- Rusk County snowmobile map
- Douglas County snowmobile map
- Iron County snowmobile map
- Shawano County snowmobile map
- Marathon County snowmobile map
Wisconsin snowmobile information
- Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs (AWSC)
- Wisconsin snowmobile registration information
- Wisconsin snowmobile laws and regulations
- Travel Wisconsin snowmobile trail conditions map